Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An Open Letter To The Greedheads Of France’s Bordeaux Region.


Dear Bordeaux, you’re dead to me.

Seriously, where to do you get off charging the usurious prices you’re asking for your 2009 vintage? Sure, I’ve noticed Parker and Suckling are jizzing themselves over the wines, but haven’t you noticed where the world economy is in 2011? Do you really expect to have any sort of place in the lives of regular wine lovers? Well let me tell you, this wine lover is telling you to fuck right off! (sorry about the F-bomb, there.)

I just got an email from one of my favorite San Francisco wine stores, and the prices they’re asking for pre-release purchases (which are always cheaper than when the wines actually hit the shelves) are shocking. Take a gander at these:
Léoville Barton $99.99 a bottle! Pichon-Baron $139.99. Canon $139.99 and I’ve never even heard of it! And they don’t stop there. $189.99, $249.99 all they way to $899.99 A FREAKING BOTTLE! Sure, it’s for the top-flight La Misson Haut-Brion, but I can get CASES of top-flight 2006 Brunello di Montalcino (one of Italy’s grand wines) for the cost of one bottle. And 2006 is a killer year for Brunello. Hell, I could completely restock my cellar with damn fine vino for that one bottle.

So that’s it! I’m done. Cutting those bastards off, right here and now. When I’ve finished my last bottle of Bordeaux, I will not buy another, until some sort of sanity come over them. I hope they suffer a horrific market crash, locust and raging fires all in one year.

OK, I feel better now.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment